Minnesota Business License
The Fastest Way to Get Your Minnesota Business License
Minnesota state business licenses are not easy to understand, let alone obtain. Business Licenses, LLC cuts through the clutter and helps business owners understand their Minnesota state business license requirements.
April 23, 2020 Update: Needless to say, the Coronavirus has dramatically affected economic conditions in Minnesota and every other state too. Nevertheless, business owners are still filing for licenses and permits, authorities are still requiring them, and Business Licenses, LLC is still assisting customers with Business License Compliance Packages for Minnesota. Business Licenses, LLC’s partners are indeed sponsoring free BLCPs for many qualifying business owners.
December 10, 2020 Update: Minnesota requires a lot of business licenses compared to other states. Moreover, each business license itself is contingent on many requirements. The situation in The Land of 10,000 Lakes can get even more hectic once you realize that the most heavily regulated licenses are decentralized.
A lot depends upon which city in Minnesota you are registering a business. Some of the larger cities – such as Minneapolis, Saint Paul, and Rochester – have dedicated licensing departments, while the smaller towns – such as Fertile, Bovey, and Deer River – rely on a local clerk's office.
The decentralized nature of business licenses in Minnesota is a particular burden for heavily regulated professionals, such as commercial contractors. There is no state-issued commercial contractor license. This means that contractors have to check with each city in which they intend to work to see if they meet the municipality's licensing requirements. In fact, there are often separate requirements for commercial contracting companies and the skilled trade professionals who actually perform the work.
(P.S. Don't underestimate the extent to which large cities in Minnesota rely upon “specialty business licenses.” For example, check out Minneapolis' extensive list of “Sales and Service” licenses. It's quite long.)
Explore Local Business License Requirements in Minnesota
Explore your local licensing authority requirements by clicking on your county in the list below. You can further drill down to your city to better understand all of your business license and permit requirements. Don't forget that if you're providing services in more than one jurisdiction in Minnesota, you will need to review your business license requirements in every city/county in which you're doing business.
How Many Business Licenses in Minnesota Do You Need?
The number of business licenses in Minnesota that you will need will depend upon a number of unique factors. Within which city/county will you operate your business? What business activities will you be conducting? How heavily regulated is your industry? Etc. To put it in perspective, we ran the following queries through our own business license research tool. Here are some authentic results:
• A fitness center in Saint Paul, MN may require up to 7 business licenses and/or permits, including a state-specific health club/spa license. At the very least, business owners need to review the relevant Health Club Registration.
• A commercial bakery in Bloomington, MN may require up to 10 business licenses and/or permits, including a local food establishment permit. Our database of relevant forms and documents contains a Retail Food Establishment License Application and a Retail Food Establishment Plan Review Application.
• A vehicle towing business in Duluth, MN may require up to 8 business licenses and/or permits, including a state motor carrier permit. There is an Application for a Certificate or Permit and a Warrant Application for Charter Bus, Common Goods for Hire, and Tow Truck Service that are sometimes associated with this permit.
Get Requirements for Your Minnesota Business License
No matter how large or small your business is, Business Licenses, LLC can provide you with all you need to get a business license in Minnesota (MN). We also can provide you with the Minnesota state business license requirements that are specific to your industry.
Professional Help for Getting Business Licenses in Minnesota
Beyond discovering and comprehending requirements for how to get a business license in Minnesota (MN), many organizations spend valuable time on the application process itself. Business Licenses, LLC provides professional assistance for collecting all of your Minnesota business license requirements, filling in the paperwork, and submitting them to the proper authorities in Minnesota. A Business Licenses, LLC expert will talk with you and complete the Minnesota business license applications on your behalf, regardless of complexity. We will then submit your Minnesota business license applications online (wherever possible) or send you forms that are ready for you to sign, date, and drop in the mail.
Testimonials from Our Business License Customers in Minnesota
We have business license professionals who work extensively throughout Minnesota. Our customers know the difference that expertise makes.
• "Easy process and clear explanations." – Randy Rakosnik, Unwined LLC in Lanesboro, MN (Explore business license requirements in nearby Canton, Chatfield, Granger, Harmony, Mabel, Preston, and Spring Valley.)
• "I think to keep compliant with taxes and licensure are key elements of running a successful business." – Scott Hornaman, Hornaman & Sons Concrete L.L.C. in Belle Plaine, MN (Explore business license requirements in nearby Barden, Elko, Jordan, New Market, New Prague, Port Cargill, Prior Lake, Savage, and Shakopee.)